Saturday, May 29, 2010

Memorial Weekend

The boys and I went to celebrate Memorial Day a little early today. We participated in Run for the Fallen at an area high school. We carried a fallen soldier's picture with an American flag for a mile, and then put the flag in a row with all of the other soldiers. The soldiers were all from the current Afghan/Iraq War and were all NC citizens.
There were 140 soldiers to be "walked". I took three around the track, #1 took two, and #2 took three. The soldiers below walked their miles in full explosive gear. They work for the explosive/bomb squad. It was very humid and I am sure they were wishing they worked in a different area!
Here is one of them putting in his fallen soldier's flag. The soldiers I carried were 37, 27, and 23 when they died.
I wanted to stay on my roll of getting things done at the house, but I was torn to go show my respect at the event. I decided to go because without their sacrifice I may not be free to have bought the home I am working on. God Bless America and all of our soldiers and their families.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: