Saturday, October 08, 2005

"Do this in remembrance of me." I have seen it engraved into altars all of my life. I have heard it read many Sundays of my life. I expect to hear it. I understand it. It is common; it is rote; it is habit. But what did Jesus's disciples think each time they remembered him? Did they remember the way he spoke their name or the way he looked at them? The way his eyes crinkled when he laughed. The time he blessed their child. His favorite practical joke. His quiet days when he was obviously somewhere far away. The love he had for others. The dog he fed along the way to Mary's house. The last days with him, quiet, sorrowful, tired. The resurrection time of surprise, joy, fear, terror, relief. Great all-encompassing love. What do I remember? The forgiveness before the sin? The undeserved sacrifice? A personal friendship. The gift of a family. The humor he uses to teach me. The seemingly insignificant events he shows me. The quiet times of reflection when he speaks to me. Surprise, joy, fear, terror, relief. Great all-encompassing love.

No comments: