Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Oh Captain, My Captain

Hubby and I celebrated 23 years of marriage on Sunday. We went to a movie- The Hobbit - and out to eat a nice steak dinner. The weather was warm, though it rained a little bit. Why mention the weather? Because 23 years ago when we wed it was horrible weather, unfit for man and beast. We were young, very young, now that I see people that age.
I was thinking recently about why we got married when we did and what I was expecting. I thought I knew a lot about marriage since I had witnessed so many marriages. Everyone in my family was married, and there are very few divorces. Even divorcees seem to follow up with a second marriage that lasts quite long in my family.
Of course, looking back now, I didn't know much about being married, but we figured it out together and I would say we have done a fine job.
It was sort of like getting a dog ten years ago. I had had dogs before; surely I knew what I was doing. Not so much. I had witnessed having a dog, but it was my parents who actually did all of the work. I guess I observed that part well, since I seemed to do all of the work involved in having Kelly.
So for the last several years I have hoped and wished that the old girl would kick the bucket. She was a lot of work! And then when she did leave us, I missed her terribly. Walking into the empty house, missing my porch companion, hearing her clicking across the floor in the middle of the night, those are the things I miss.
So... We got another dog! Yes, I know you are shocked. I even shocked myself. His name is Captain and he is a nine month old beagle. We need to get a shock collar system going to keep him out of the road, so for now he is a LOT of work making sure that he gets outside but stays on the leash. But already I enjoy having his little self shadowing me around the house, checking on what is going on in every room.

We bought a bed for him, since his last owners seem to have let him sleep on their bed. I thought it might encourage him to stay off of ours. No such luck. But the goofy little thing is sleeping underneath the table on my computer carrying case right now. I guess I am learning not to expect the expected with this one.
----------------
I am heading home tomorrow for a White Christmas with family. The dog will be staying here with friends; sadly, he doesn't like the car! We will get to stay with both sets of parents and should get lots of visiting in with all of the relatives. Here's hoping your holidays are as happy as mine! Merry Christmas.

No comments: