Saturday, January 21, 2006

I have been fighting a cold this week. I think I am starting to win. Winning isn't everything my boys say. They started playing league basketball this winter. It is a christian league and playing, learning, and attitude are the main focus. They are having a great time, but I think snack after the game is probably the highlight. They have only lost so far, and though I was told it doesn't feel good, they seem to be handling it ok. ----------------------------------------- I have been thinking about what practical ministry looks like. How do I, a homeschooling mother of young children, who also cares for 3 other younger children, find time to minister? I used to teach and speak at events at our last church. We had a family that lived behind us that required a lot of extra attention. I helped the college ministry at a homeless shelter at times. But here I have seemed to get stuck in getting everything done and teaching children. Besides, we don't live on a city block and it isn't as easy to see those in need of help. Then I started praying for quietness of mind and the ability to hear God. It has occured to me that the best way I can minister is to be listening to those around me. In doing so I have heard the loneliness of several people, the fear of others, and even the great joy of others. I ask God daily for the grace of silence and it is opening many doors that I didn't even notice were there. Just when I thought I couldn't squeeze another weekly event in my life, such as a formal ministry would require, I have discovered that by listening, ministry doesn't disrupt as much as I thought. I can take a lonely lady to the boys' ball games, I can play games with a friend and her children, I can make a call while I clean out the dishwasher. A few minutes of listening to a person can serve God in ways unknown. "Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak..." James 1:19

No comments: