Thursday, January 12, 2006

So maybe you are wondering how I am doing in my unambitious life? I think it is going fairly well. I have been careful to spend the first half hour of my day in the Word and in prayer. (That is the first half hour after my shower, etc. I imagine God appreciates it.) I have tried for years to spend that time with God, but I am often interrupted. So I told my husband and he is trying to make sure I am not interrupted. I have found myself having the time to get things done. But more importantly I have found myself being less stressed about the slower times of the day- when the kids need to tell me something or just want to play a bit, or when a friend calls just to chat. Being present at all times. It is a challenge. I have been focusing on this prayer this week. Give unto us, O Lord, that quietness of mind in which we can hear you speaking to us, for your own name's sake. Lord, you have taught us in your word that there is a time to speak and a time to keep silence. As we thank you for the power of speech, we pray for the grace of silence. Make us as ready to listen as we are to talk, ready to listen to your voice in the quietness of our hearts and ready to listen to other people who need a sympathetic ear. Show us when to open our mouths and when to hold our peace, that we may glorify you in both speech and in silence. Through Jesus Christ our Lord. - Frank Colquhoun

1 comment:

Chris Beason said...

I admire you for being able to start each day with prayer. It seems no matter how hard I try, I can't seem to make that my focus...usually because I sleep till the last possible moment and then I'm constantly running for at least the first hour or so that I'm awake.