Wednesday, November 02, 2011

The Kingdom of Heaven is Love

Sunday's sermon was about Jesus taking 613 rules of the Jewish religion and blasting them down to two rules: Love God and Love others. A few years ago at Winterfest the kids were taught it as L1L2. Whenever they hear L1L2 now they know: Love God, Love Others.
Sounds easy, loving God and loving others, but we know it isn't. Sometimes God doesn't do what we want. Most of the time Others don't do what we want. And instead of L1L2, it is LMe and no one else. We get in the way of Love.
L2 says tell your brother he did a good job, but LMe says, "I did a good job too. Why should I say anything to him?"
L1 says God has blessed me beyond expectation, but LMe says, "I'm pretty good and God ought to bless me. I deserve it."
Sometimes it seems like 613 rules would be better than just two.

No comments: