Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Battle of the Birds

Reading my morning devotionals in bed is a luxury I enjoy about once or twice a week. Yesterday was one of those days, though I had no idea it would end so violently. From the corner of my eye I noticed fast, furious fluttering. Two Southern Mockingbirds were going at each other like two brothers in a rock war. Yes, brothers have rock wars.

 
A large River Birch tree grows outside my bedroom window. Rising from my comfy spot I saw the two male birds facing off on the ground. They were two Sumo wrestlers looking for the right angle and opportunity to attack. One hopped left and the other faced him off. Then that one would circle the other and off they would go, flying, jumping, attacking. Several times I cringed and cried aloud as the aggressor would peck its beak into the throat or chest of the other bird.

 
After ten minutes or so of chasing each other around the birch tree and into the side of the house, I noticed a female mockingbird perched on one of the branches. She watched the fight taking place, but never seemed to cheer in one direction or another.


Finally, it seemed there was a winner, and he flew off to the nearby holly tree while the “loser” recovered on the ground. But wait, no, he wasn’t done for yet, and the apparent loser flew onto a branch near the female bird.


Before I could blink, the bird in the holly tree had flown back to the birch and was attacking the trespasser once again. I could see the birds were perspiring, their feathers growing wet and wispy with exertion. The battle continued until finally the winner smashed the loser to the ground and made a nearly fatal stab at the weaker bird.

 
The winner flew back to the holly tree, and the female, taking one last look at the loser, flew off to the holly tree to be with her knight in shining armor.

 
This battle rages in the spiritual realms, and occasionally I get to sit on a branch and watch. Mostly though, I am an unsuspecting girl oblivious to the rescue occurring right before me.


“For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places.” Ephesians 6:12 NLT


“But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 24:15

No comments: