Thursday, April 11, 2013

Good Karma


 “For the foolishness of God is wiser than man’s wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man’s strength.” 1 Corinthians 1:25

Philadelphia is not a cheap place to live, so while my husband was there in graduate school, I would grocery shop at Aldi. Aldi’s is often located in poor neighborhoods. It is not a high class market, but it provides all of the basics and fresh produce that you can ask for without all of the high prices.

In order to keep prices low, Aldi has initiated several changes to the shopping experience. For instance, you will need to bring your own bags. The cashier scans your items and tosses them back into the shopping cart; then you can either toss them in your trunk that way or bag them yourself.

Another price reducer is the way you get your shopping cart. Place a quarter in the chain slot and unlock your cart from all of the other carts. Aldi figures everyone wants their quarters back, so they return the cart. That way there aren’t any “lost” carts, and there aren’t any car bang-ups in the parking lot.

So now we live in Greenville, NC, and though the Aldi here isn’t in a very poor section of town, it is again located near the lower class. And I still shop there even though we aren’t on a graduate student’s income. But, it means I must have a quarter with me when I go to shop.

I keep quarters in my van so that I can always get a cart, but in order to help those who may not have a quarter, I leave my cart parked with the others, but not locked. I THOUGHT I was doing this out of the kindness of my heart. Boy was I wrong!

The last couple of times I shopped, I was driving the car. I don’t keep quarters in the car. I also didn’t have quarters in my purse. Certain that I would be taken care of as a reward for all of the times I left a cart for others, I happily walked up to the cart line to unhappily find them all locked. So I grabbed an empty box and filled it with the few essentials I could get by with for the week and checked out. That was last week.

This week, I drove the car again. I searched through my purse, certain that I had a quarter, but alas, I did not. Again, I approached the cart line just certain that I would find an open cart there. I mean, come on, I have left LOTS of carts for other people. Surely God would reward me for my previous blessing of others. Nope.

I did, however, have some folding money. So, I walked down several aisles until I was in the check-out line. I waited for my turn, and then asked for change. Granted it was only a small inconvenience, but what in the world?! I deserved to have an unlocked cart!

I finished my shopping, buying anything that I wanted, unconcerned about the cost. I packed up my groceries in my many fabric shopping bags. I loaded the groceries into the third car that I own. And then I had a decision to make.

It was time to return the cart. I was still miffed that there hadn’t been an unlocked cart before. Should I return the cart and lock it to retrieve my quarter to have next time, or should I leave the cart unlocked?

My half-sorry heart noticed the couple headed toward the cart line. The elderly lady was searching through her change purse. I left the cart.

As I walked back to my car I heard the couple exclaim over the unlocked cart. They were temporarily blessed, and I was humiliated and humbled.

I had been working under the assumption that God would take care of me if I took care of others. Phooey! God takes care of me and everyone else no matter what. Nothing I do can make God do what He doesn’t want to do. The reason I need to be kind and thoughtful is because I want to be like God. No other reason.

I told this story to my husband as we walked the trail yesterday. When I got to the part about making a decision I asked him what he thought I did. He got it right, but his next remark is what hit home. “I think you’re nuts to think that you can get Karma off of God!” He was right.

 

“Brothers, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. He chose the lowly things of this world, and the despised things – and the things that are not – to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast before him. It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God – that is, our righteousness, holiness, and redemption. Therefore, as it is written: “Let him who boasts, boast in the Lord.” 1 Corinthians 1:26-31 NIV

 

No comments: