Thursday, May 30, 2013

The Chainsaws Have Ended. . . Briefly

My retreat seems to have been a success. I wanted to look for publishers, magazines, and write, but mostly I wanted to listen to God. I was able to accomplish all of these!
I sent my book off to five new publishers, submitted two manuscripts to two magazines and ruled out about twenty other magazines, and spent one entire day writing on Communion. So what did God have to say to me while I listened?
Well, He took His good old time saying anything, that's for sure. It seems those chainsaws were buzzing pretty loudly, and all I could hear was the roar of all of the things I needed to do. As the days passed, though, they became quieter, and I began to decompress, becoming quieter myself.
Sunday I spent the morning in worship alone with my God. It was a perfect day to be outside, so I sat in the sun, listened to Christain music, read my Bible, and waited. I was not disappointed. I felt the distinct impression that God wants me to watch my motives carefully. I believe He intends to bless my writing, but my mission must be His and not my own.
That is a hard line to walk since I have to contact agencies and represent myself as well as Jesus. It will take practice, but I think I can accomplish it if I continue to embrace the second thing He told me.
Pace and Place = Peace
Whatever does that mean, you ask. Well, here is what I am getting out of it. It took me so long to decompress because I am always so busy. Yet, I don't see any way to not be as busy as I am and still accomplish what needs to be done. So God sent me to the book of Mark.
I have always recognized the urgency of Mark's gospel. Jesus is on the go constantly. He leads, heals, teaches, preaches, guides, and chides. But what I noticed this time was the number of times that in the midst of all of his activity- and all of it surely good activity!- he suddenly disappears. He goes alone to a garden at dark or early in the morning, scoots off in a boat to a secluded place, climbs a hill to seek solitude, and sometimes he seems to withdraw into his own thoughts while in the midst of a crowd.
Jesus has a hectic PACE, but he always finds a PLACE to be alone, and then he is at PEACE to continue his work. So that is my goal now: to ignore the pace of my hectic life and find places where I can be alone and recharge. Then I can use my peace to serve the Lord in whatever way He motivates.
It has been a great retreat!

No comments: