Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Using Your Feet

I use my feet every day. I stand, walk, jump, tiptoe, and climb. I walk the dog daily for about an hour. I use my feet walking in stores, driving the car, standing to wash dishes, and getting the mail from the box. From the moment I rise in the morning, to the moment I lie down at night, I use my feet.
With all of that use I imagined my feet were in pretty good shape. They were toned, flexible, and ready to go at a moment's notice. Then I spent a week traversing the hills of WV.
Walking steep inclines evidently uses different muscles in the feet. Suddenly my fit feet were sorely out of shape. Even my toes hurt!
It isn't the ache of overused feet; it is the pain of unused muscles suddenly being put to work, like your back muscles after the first yard work of Spring.
We had a student in TX who told us he didn't need to read the Bible because he already read it once. He knew what was in there. Besides, he went to church and sometimes Sunday school or devotionals, and there was plenty of Bible offered in those settings. He felt like his Bible knowledge was pretty well under control.
I can only imagine what happened when he suddenly found himself in different terrain. When the environment suddenly changed from happy and homey to dangerous and deathly did he know what encouragement the Bible offered? When terror struck and prayers were offered did he know which Psalms would calm his soul?
I was very able to acclimate to the mountains because I use my feet daily in the coastal plains, but if I didn't use them so often I never would have been able to enjoy the scenery, fresh air, and lofty heights offered to me this week.
Make sure you don't forget to walk through God's Word every day so that you can enjoy, or live through, whatever comes your way.

No comments: