Friday, May 31, 2013

The Perfect Walk

My last evening on the family farm I took a very long walk. It was such a perfect Spring evening with the air lightly scented of fresh grass and new life. I startled several deer, and they ran away from me so close that I could have grabbed hold and ridden them. Chipmunks played on the edge of my path. Rabbits scurried in front of me, even running down the road begging me to play. Beautiful songbirds flitted over my head.
Walking back through the field, I passed through floating air pockets. As I descended into the hollow near the pond, the air suddenly cooled and chilled me, then entering the rise on the hill, the air was warmed and pleasant. The cows bellowed to one another, more deer ran away, and the dog jogged at my side.
I returned to the back porch and had a seat in the rocker. Using the binoculars I watched for deer and birds. I rested and relaxed knowing this was the end of my time alone. One thing would make it perfect, I thought, lightning bugs. But it has been a cold spring here and lightning bugs have not yet shown their lights.
Thanking God for such a wonderful week, I began contemplating what I had learned: Watch my motives, Stay peaceful by finding time to be alone. I should write about this walk, I thought. I started to get up and head into the computer, but something held me back. I told myself that the walk was meant for me to share with God. Not everything that happens has to be something to write about. Enjoy what is given and embrace the blessing.
Suddenly, I spotted a small light in the distance. Then, blinking over the tall, grassy hayfield, other feeble lights blinked on and off. They didn't last long, but my walk was made completely perfect.
Thank you God for the Light.

No comments: