Saturday, August 03, 2013

A Convenient God

A few weeks ago I had lunch with some church friends. We were discussing the absence of some people from worship and wondering what would help them make it to church on Sunday mornings.

"Do you think it would help if services were later? Not everyone is a morning person you know," one remarked.

I couldn't help myself. "If you really know who God is, you will do what it takes to be there to worship him, no matter if you are a morning person," I said.

I wasn't rude or belligerent. I wasn't trying to be "holier than thou." I was speaking truth about my Lord.

When you really know who he is, you want to be with him. You want to worship, to sing, to praise, to rejoice. You long for an opportunity to enter his presence.

I wasn't talking about people who don't know God. They aren't there yet. For them, God must be a convenience can with a pop-top lid that flips open whenever you are ready.

But for those of us who know, who have experienced, who have entered the Holy Place and been hushed by reverberating, awe-filled silence: it was of those I spoke. To get to that God I would hammer nail holes into the can and drain the holiness out the side.

But I recognize that my God has already been hammered and drained. And I can't help but worship.

No comments: