Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Perfect Hospitality

When Matt was a grad student at Westminster, I participated in a program for the wives called Women Of Westminster (WOW). We gathered as future ministers' wives to attend lectures by our spouses' professors, discuss topics of interest to the group, and suggest books to read. One book suggestion I took was Open Heart, Open Home by Karen Mains.

I read it with great interest, and put much of it into practice. Karen tells her story of being a hospitable Christian, and gives ideas of what you too can do to welcome people into your home and life.

One anecdote I remember is Karen making a plate of cookies for the neighborhood kids seem special. She placed a white doilie on the plate before inviting the kids over. It seems like an innocent, easy thing to do. I even did it several times when we lived in Texas with a neighborhood of rambunctious children.

But then, a couple of years ago, I was told that people don't relate to me and Matt because we are "perfect." Evidently we make people feel uncomfortable because we have a super marriage and great kids, home school said children, raise chickens, and make bread. It seems people like the ideal in theory, but they don't want to see it practiced.

I was stunned.

Fast forward several years after reading Open Heart, Open Home. I had a church ladies' breakfast at the house last weekend. They were invited at 9 a.m. for muffins, juice and coffee. I also managed to make some egg casseroles. I met my first three guests with a towel wrapped around my head. I had just gotten out of the shower.

The kitchen was still a mess, dishes were not out and ready, dust and dog hair were certainly present. The dirty tablecloth that I gathered up before the guests arrived still sat on top of the buffet. Karen Mains would be appalled. But perhaps she wouldn't be.

People were welcomed. My time and attention were completely given to these women. We left knowing each other better, and relationships were stronger. Perhaps "Perfect Hospitality" is the kind that lets your imperfections show as well.

No comments: