Monday, August 19, 2013

Can I Have It Back?

"Pick three items out of my box. Any three."

My young students peeked into the magical box of goodies, pawing and pondering which items would be best. A magic wand, a ribboned baton, a silly straw, all were coveted items. But two girls, sisters of course, argued over who should get the duct tape covered, plastic binoculars. Finally the six-year-old won.

I went on with the Bible lesson and then said, "Ok. Now I need an item back. You can pick whatever you want to turn back in, but I need to have some of these things back."

The six year old tossed in her silly straw and contentedly continued looking through the binoculars. Going on with the lesson, I read some scripture, told a story, and then dropped the next bomb.

"You know what? I'm going to see some other kids later today, and they are going to want some toys to play with. Would you put in one more thing?" I asked.

Sadly the six-year-old handed over her ribboned baton, and I kept on talking about helping others and what all of us can do to teach others about Jesus. But I noticed that the little sister slid the binoculars under her long blond hair.

You know where I am going with this just as well as the six-year-old did.
"Class, I need that last item back as well. Yes, I gave it to you earlier. Yes it was yours, but now I am asking you to give it back. Will you let me have it back?"

"Can I still look through the binoculars when we are done?" she asked as she hesitantly picked up her hair from the nape of her neck.

"Yes, you can still look through them when we are done. But right now I would like it if you would let me have them back," I explained.

Slowly, reluctantly, she pulled the binoculars over her head and handed them over.

It was painful. It was sad. It was so very personal.

God has asked me to give back all of myself to him. He asks for my money, my time, my gifts, my life. And some I gladly toss back into his box, happy to help. But others. . . Others I hold on to more tightly.

"Can I have it back when you're done?" I ask, tears brimming in my sorrowful eyes.

And God, softly laughing to himself, answers yes. He knows some day I will grow up and see how worthless my little toys are, but for now they are treasures, and I am his six-year-old still learning.

No comments: