Tuesday, November 22, 2005

The chicks have hatched, all 8!!! They started Sunday evening and by this morning they were all out of their shells. Goldie is carefully watching them and I have to wear gloves to get in to them. It has turned colder here and they are staying snugly beneath her wings. It is amazing that she knows how to be a mother instinctively. I remember a friend telling me once about losing her child in a mall store. A man asked for a description of her so he could help look. My friend tore into him "like a mother tiger" telling him that she couldn't trust him to do that. She later felt a little badly about jumping to the conclusion that he might be an abductor or molester. I understand both of her reactions, that of a terrified mother and that of wanting to trust mankind. I also remember a conversation I had with another friend. She was holding my infant son while we watched the toddlers at the park. We were having a discussion on sin and she lifted my baby and said, "You know he is sinful." I thought I would pounce on her and tear her limb from limb! How could my baby be sinful?! That was the first time I felt the "mother tiger" within me. We were able to clear the air of our different opinions and beliefs, but I was never able to clear the air around my children. I am fiercely loyal to them. I see their faults and weaknesses. I reprimand and discipline. But no matter what, I am their Mother Tiger and I will defend them from dangers, real and imaginary.

No comments: