Thursday, November 17, 2005

I went to a workshop/conference last night at the university. It was about International Education and Globalization. I was especially interested in hearing from the Finnish delegation of students. The Fins have dominated the world lately in putting forth the best-educated people. I was surprised to hear that they only attend school 20 hours a week until they are 12 years old. Then it goes up to 25 hours for junior high and 30 hours for high school. One of the comments I hear a lot about homeschooling is that we don't put enough time into it- about 3 hours a day. The Fins said children there enjoy school because it is formatted for many types of learning, not just linear or linguistic. They have woodworking and needlework lessons, music and art times, as well as recess every hour. I wonder about the stress level of American students. They are in classes for many hours with little time to create or think abstractly. There is little time for play or freedom. Is it any wonder more and more children are suffering depression and stress-induced illnesses? Perhaps it would be good to look to the relaxed atmosphere of the Finnish schools. My own homeschooling experience is similar. My children have plenty of time to think and create. They have lessons that introduce many ways to enjoy life, not just linear and linguistic. And they have lots of free time to play whatever they want to play. Just in the last week, when lessons were over, they have built forts out of several kind of blocks, written books about magical creatures, taken adventures across North America dressed as Native Americans, drawn robots, read good books, listened to music and tried choreographing dances. About a month ago they had Economic Summits using a map and trying to decide which bases should be closed and who they should "take over" (Look out Canada!). That was a free time play of their own invention. They suffer few illnesses and are certainly not stressed. Yet, even with all of that free time they have learned more than those in the public system, or even a private school, will ever have the opportunity to learn. The workshop did for me something the directors probably never intended; it solidified my belief that my children are getting the best education I can give them and my desire to continue homeschooling was strengthened.

1 comment:

Diane B said...

Thank-you for sharing . I also home school my child and feel as you do .