Friday, March 31, 2006

My father-in-law likes to sit on his deck and watch the birds in the morning. He knows several individual birds by sight and has named them. My boys like to sit with him during visits and share that special time with Pap. Sometimes, between visits, they talk about birds on the phone. There have been bird books, houses and feeders for presents. Thursday morning my older son told me he saw a bird fly out of the bird box. We looked inside and there are 5 bluebird eggs! I have been noticing the bluebirds lately, but didn't know they had anything "going on." Actually I have seen more birds this spring than I remember from last year. I have been wondering if it is because there has been some logging and development growth close by this year. We have also been seeing deer and never had before. So I did a little research and found out that bluebirds are in danger. Their numbers have been significantly decreasing, by 90%, in the last 150 years or so. NC has a bluebird conservation society, as do other states. The former owner must have known that because there are 3 bluebird boxes on our property. (I did not know they were for bluebirds until I started this research.) So we took some pictures of the eggs and nest and plan to keep a bird journal of what happens. We will also clean up the other two bird boxes and see if we can't attract some more couples. What an exciting thing to happen to this bird watching family!

1 comment:

Chris Beason said...

That is so cool! You should post the pictures!