Friday, April 07, 2006

Once last summer I was working on a project at the house and a friend commented that I must work really slowly; it was taking a long time to get done. Yesterday I hired a kid to help me finish preparing the garden and get a fence around it so that I could get some plants and seeds into the ground soon. I felt a little badly hiring help when I am a stay-at-home mom, but as the afternoon went on I felt like it was justified. Child #2 had a stomach virus. Child #5 got a splinter the size of a tree. Child #4 had to tell me several times about #5's splinter. # 4-5 wanted a snack. #3 wanted a snack. #1-2 wanted gum, then #3 wanted candy. #5 needed a diaper change. #4 continued to tell me of the need for a diaper change as well as updates on the splinter. I cleaned up #4-5 since they were "helping" in the garden and got them down for a nap, along with a clean diaper and band-aid on the splintered finger. #1 had finished mowing the yard and was about to start helping to hoe when #2 came out to find me and threw up all over the yard. The rooster charged #3 and sent him into tears. If I hadn't had a helper for the afternoon I would still be out there clearing the weeds. As it is, the garden was cleared and nearly fenced by the time my helper left. I was able to finish the fencing and today got in strawberries, onions, peas, beans, spinach, lettuce, and tomatoes. Next time someone says I work slowly I will send them to this post!!

No comments: