Monday, April 17, 2006

Well, the Easter candy has a big dent in it, but there is still a lot left. I think the Easter Bunny had better not shop at Sam's Club any more! My husband did the shopping this year. I just didn't at all feel like it was Easter and couldn't get in the mood for it. He even gave me some peanutbutter eggs and a new candy by Junior Mints that are caramel, Mmmm. Honestly, baskets and candy had not even entered my mind last week. So we didn't have a home cooked meal with pies for dessert. I have been working so hard on other things, I just couldn't find the energy to do a big meal too. We went to Golden Corral, where we were sure to have limas ( a must for Easter in my husband's mind) and home made rolls. We took a woman from church who would have been alone otherwise. Fairly uneventful, if I say so myself. However, two things made it a memorable Easter. First, I have waited many, many years for my children to wake in the morning and secret themselves out to the baskets (or Christmas tree) and check out the loot. My children have often had to be awakened and reminded of the goodies that await them. I had so looked forward as a mother to the holiday morning excitement and had been so disappointed. THIS year, the younger son rewarded me. He sneaked out to the baskets and then raced back to wake his brother. "Wake up! Wake up! The Easter Bunny came last night! He even brought us a present and yours is too big to fit in your basket and I won't tell you what it is but you are going to love it HURRY UP!" excitedly whispered in one long breath. That was truly a Mom Moment. The second was also provided by the younger son. We were on our way to church and discussing that this was the best day in the history of the world. "Do you know what happened on Easter?" asked Mom. "Yeah, Jesus rose from the dead." said in a monotone voice of a preacher's kid who has heard this once too often. "And what is so wonderful about that? What happens because of it?" Mom continued. Here is where the excitement entered his voice, "No school!" I suppose when you are 7 ressurrection and eternal life just can't compare to a holiday.

No comments: