Thursday, August 12, 2010

(Dis)Advantage

I went to the podiatrist yesterday. I like him. He seems very genuine and honest. I may have discovered why. I asked him why he chose podiatry out of all the medical fields. He then told me that he had originally been a teacher (How could I not like him?). He really enjoyed teaching, but there wasn't enough money in it. He was having trouble meeting his mortgage and other bills, and that was before he had a family. Granted that was a long time ago, and teachers in NC get paid better than they used to, BUT. He said it really disturbed him last year when the legislature decided that teachers should be paid less so that the state could meet its budget. Out of the people that should not have had to give up money it was the teachers. "They don't seem to understand how important the teachers are, " he remarked. I thought about that for quite a while. I certainly agree that teachers get taken advantage of quite a bit. They are very important to our society, and yet we don't give them the recognition they deserve. That seems to happen in other circumstances as well. Those we need the most are the ones we overlook and take advantage of. My husband is extremely important to me, but if something has to be pushed aside, it will be him. If I am irritable and need to explode, he will be the target. If I am running ragged, he will be the one ignored while I go on to other things. The one I need the most is the one that gets taken advantage of. Sadly that happens in my spiritual life as well. God, the most important being in all Creation, can be placed on the side burner while I go on with what is urgent. He will still be there when I have time for Him. What an awful thing to admit, but it is true. I can tell myself that once summer is over and I am back in a routine I will give God more time, but in all honesty shouldn't He be the one that gets what little time I have? Am I sacrificing to Him if I don't even give Him more than worship time and Bible class? I have taken advantage of God and His availability. Shame on me.

No comments: