Sunday, August 29, 2010

God Speaks

God talks to me at times. Sometimes it is a gentle whisper and sometimes it is a thwonk on the noggin. Today it came as a headache. In the shower this morning I had a strong feeling that instead of going to Bible class today I should spend the time in prayer. I hated thinking that, since I know Hubby works hard on his classes, and I didn't want to offend him by not attending. So by the time we were on the road headed to church I had decided that it was just a strange thought, and I would go to class. About halfway to the building we were stopped at an intersection. We were a couple of cars back in line, and I noticed a man crossing the road. He was very tall and thin, dressed in a long black coat and had a tall walking stick. "That is an odd sight around here," I thought. "I think he is not a person, but a messenger or an angel. Crazy." Just as suddenly as I thought it, my right eye started blacking out and a headache began. I have had times before that I lose sight in an eye. It sort of blacks over; I imagine it is my blood pressure. Today the loss of sight was accompanied by a horrible headache. I went into the Bible class, and stayed through half of it, but I had to leave. I took an Aleve and sat in the dark nursery. "Well, I might as well pray since I am here," I reasoned. I prayed for people I am concerned about, situations that have my attention, and for understanding in a particular problem. I asked God to help me understand why our church is so small. Is it because we are doing something wrong, or is there some other reason? There was a visitor at church today, Rick. He was a nice guy who spoke up in class and talked to others in the congregation between class and worship. After services we had a potluck with the whole church. We had had about 20 people absent today, and in a church of about 50-60 you miss 20 people. Rick stayed for dinner, and afterward he came over to speak to my husband. I was sitting across the table and heard what was said. "I was so surprised by my time here today. I didn't expect to find such a rich place. I know you think you are small, but success isn't measured like that. The world isn't looking for what you have. They want to go where there is a big band or some excitement. The way God measures success is different from the way the world measures. This is such a rich church full of people who know what God is about. It was good to hear the truth spoken today." I couldn't speak because I thought I would cry. My prayer had been answered. ------------- Funny thing was that the sermon today was to figure out your gift and to use it this week. I already know that prayer is my gift. I feel very connected to God when I pray, like we are in a room with only each other and He listens carefully to me. I pray while people are still talking to me. If they ask me to pray, I pray right then. Prayer is my ministry. So why did I not answer the call to pray instead of going to class? I may have saved myself from a horrible headache. Hopefully I will listen next time.

No comments: