Friday, August 20, 2010

Washington, DC

Isn't this a beautiful picture? It was taken from the Washington Monument's platform. It was such a pretty day when we were there. However, it was also pretty hot! We go again in October with 4H, and I am looking forward to it being a bit cooler. Sorry about this being sideways, just turn your head to the side. Or lie down and take a nap. You know you want to! The lawn near the White House was crazy with people playing games and resting. I think it surprised J-1 that we were able to get so close and not see guards. I am sure we (Americans) must have seemed very gauche romping on the White House lawn.
This was our first stop. We just took a picture and then ate lunch at the gardens next to it. We sat outside to eat. That will also be more fun in October. As we were leaving this area, Hubby asked if J-1 knew what the building is. I asked, and yes he did. I wanted to be certain and asked him to tell me. "The White House." No. We had a lesson on government and the Capitol.
Then we went to the real White House and took his picture. He wrote a postcard to his grandmother about his trip to the White House. It was a good day. I really like visiting DC and I am looking forward to our next trip. It was a really long day, and I wouldn't recommend doing it in one day again, but if you have no choice it is a good experience.
We managed 2 museums with fast tours. I especially found this exhibit interesting. This is the first car to go transcontinental in the USA. Having nearly done that last summer, this exhibit was interesting. I am glad we had highways to use. They had to use a wench to pull it out of holes.
----------
We took J-1 to Raleigh yesterday. We went to Red, Hot and Blue for lunch, and then headed to the science museum. It was really cold in there, so we only stayed about 2 hours. We went across the court to try the history museum. It was also chilly, but not too bad. The exhibits were very nice and I would like to take the boys again this school year. Then we took J-1 to the hotel to drop off with his group.
We had a party for him at church Wednesday evening, and he cried through a lot of it. He asked me if we could have one more Monopoly Night. So after church we had game night. At 10:00 I sent them to bed. At 11:00 I could hear sniffling in his room. I went in and he was crying again. He asked if he could come back to this home some time. I assured him he would be welcome. And then I wondered what I had agreed to... Hubby thinks he is coming back for college!
After the crying I was worried about leaving him at the hotel, but I think he was trying to have a strong face for his friends. He didn't want them to see him cry. He had watery eyes, but he got through it ok. He should be back home now. Today was busy, but a little back in a routine. I managed to go tot he supermarket this evening. With school starting we need some ready foods. Have a good weekend.

No comments: