Monday, December 12, 2011

Bambi

No her name isn't Bambi, but she does have big doe eyes doesn't she? I thought I got this picture in yesterday's post, but I guess not. #1 really does like little kids. I think he would be a good teacher. He has talked about being a teacher or a youth minister.

 #2 did get a doe over the Thaksgiving break though. The first day was too foggy, and though they tried going out, he and my father had to return home empty handed and stay in all day long.
 The second day was foggy but not as bad as the first. They came upon two does, and my dad told #2 to lean against the tree and line up his shot. Dad said #2 was very calm and careful, and he shot just as he should have. The shot went right in the back and dropped her quickly. They went back home to get the tractor to haul her out. She was about 120 pounds and as tall as #2.
 On Friday after Thanksgiving we cut up the meat. #2 wanted steaks and stew meat and that's just what he got. He ended  up with 17 quart bags of meat. He even got two bags of the backstrap which is like filet mignon. My boys love filet mignon! Expensive tastes, I know.
#2 was disappointed that there wasn't more meat in a deer, and he plans on getting two next year. Well he can plan all he wants, but a lot of it is luck. #2 wanted to let the 4H club try the meat, so we had stew meat at the meeting last week. I put it in the crockpot with some herbs and Worcestershire sauce. It was good. We have had steaks, too that were good. She was a yearling deer and the meat is tender enough for a butter knife. Betcha loved that last sentence, all  you non-hunters!

No comments: