Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Give 2 the Troops

Our club helped again at Give 2 the Troops this year. We help throughout the year at different times, and #2 is volunteering there weekly now, but we also always have a Christmas project packing boxes for the deployed soldiers. These kids are removing address labels from magazines so they can be given to the troops.

A dentist in Buffalo, NY buys back candy from his patients after Halloween. He then donates it to the soldiers. He sent over 5000 pounds of candy to the center. These two, along with the rest of us, packed the candy iinto smaller bags that could be put in stockings for the soldiers.

#1 helped sort items for the stockings and make gift bags. The bags held shampoo, toothpaste, soap, candy, and other items. Some of the soldiers have their packages dropped to them because they are so far away from a base. Getting these hygiene items to them means a lot since they are away from the PX for months at a time.

We also make cards for the soldiers. I also asked our congregation to make some cards and to sign some store bought cards, to send to the soldiers. The cards let them know they are supported back home and that we wish the best for them.

What a great bunch of kids and American Citizens!
---------------------------

I told my mother about the packages sent to soldiers and that we often donate our magazines to them. Hubby takes online surveys and then "wins" free subscriptions. He gets two Golf magazines, financial magazines, and Reader's Digest. We also get Smithsonian and National Geographic. My mother got All You for me last year, and I donate that too.

So my mother donated magazines, and she told her church about it. They donated magazines, as well as other family members donating. Several of them read this blog, and I thought I would show them what they accomplished. When I went last week to help at Give 2 the Troops, there were absolutely NO magazines for the soldiers! All of these magazines were donated by you, my readers and family. Good job Everyone!
PS I then told my church how low they were on magazines, and my church donated a few bags as well. What a great way to recycle.

No comments: