Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Growing Up

The day I dropped the boys off at camp was the day I knew that #2 was growing up. He is a very touchy-feely child, often playing with my hair, hugging or kissing me, or poking me in the nose. This year #2 was placed in the big boys' cabin, so he and the other two boys took their things and headed over. I helped the friend we were taking who is still in the little boys' cabin.
After dropping off my charge, I headed toward the van and saw the other boys there talking with a girl. There was a comment made about not having all of the other NC 4Hers with us, and by then I had reached the van, so I commented that we were all they needed. Then I gave #2 a hug. His body stiffened and turned to the side. The type of hug that says, "Please don't do that."
And that was when I knew that my baby was gone. Sunday, June 24, about 4:45 PM.
Since then he has returned to his normal touchy self, but I still think he has left me behind. Why? He suddenly remembers to brush his teeth! A woman at church who raised three boys once told me that is the sign that they are growing up: they brush their teeth. Not only does he remember at bedtime,  but he even wanted to brush his teeth before he and his dad headed to the movie on Sunday. Oh My Word!!

No comments: