Friday, July 27, 2012

Harvest Time


This is my apple tree. I think I started with three, yes, it was three; but this is the lone survivor. I picked the apples on Tuesday. They could have used a longer time on the tree, but the deer got them last year before I could, and I didn't want to lose them again.
Several weeks ago, during one of our stormy evenings, several of the apples dropped off. I picked them up, and we have been eating them, but they don't have the same crisp flavor of a fully ripe apple. So now that I have picked all of them, I am drying them into chips. That is one of #1's favorite treats, dried apple chips.
I also planted a couple of pear trees when I planted the apple trees. Both of the pear trees have survived. In fact, one of the pear trees is so plentiful that its branches bend to the ground, heavy with fruit. Isn't it "funny" that the apple trees didn't do so well, and the pears are extremely abundant. #2 is allergic to apples. Maybe it isn't so funny after all. Thanks God.

No comments: