Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Accidental Adoption

In May our cat was hit by a car. I found her dead in the front yard. She was a sweet cat, but not tame enough to pick up and pet. She wouldn't swish her tail around your legs and trip you up like cats do. She was a wild cat that adopted us because we occasionally put out food for her. We didn't put out too much food, because we wanted her to catch mice, too.
So when she died, Matt asked if we should go find another cat. My response was no. Why would we go get a cat when all of the other cats have just shown up on their own? Just give it a little while, I assured him, we'll have a cat soon.
And then sure enough, a few days later, I was in the feed room when I heard a scuffle behind the scrap wood. A momma cat and her 5 kittens had decided to camp out in our barn for a while. I left a little food, and they stayed around.
About that same time, a man came knocking on the door. I have dealt with him before, selling him chickens, and then taking in his chickens when his neighbors disapproved. Now he was back asking if I could take 14 chicks off of his friend's hands. Of course I hemmed and hawed, and then said yes, I would adopt the little balls of fluff.
 Our dog, Captain, was adopted when he started causing trouble for his first family. I know a lot of you were in shock when I took Captain on. I must admit I was in shock myself, and I am not quite over it yet! He was to catch moles that were causing problems in the back yard, but he seems to have made more problems of his own.
All of these adoptions were unexpected and sudden. They were adopted for what they can do for us- eat mice, lay eggs, be butchered, or catch moles. But they were also adopted because of what we could do for them- provide a home and care.
 
I was adopted by my father not because of what I could do for him, but only for what he could do for me. I don't catch mice at his mansion, have never laid an egg and hope to not be butchered, and I find moles disgusting and only worth ignoring. But I was adopted anyway.
 
Last November, we adopted a little girl in Swaziland. It was thought out and intentional. We chose her for her country, her birthday, and her hilly countryside. She seemed like the right girl for us. There is nothing that she can do for us financially or physically. We can't hug her, cook her dinner, or even play a game with her. But we can write her letters, send her small gifts, and pray for her continually. Compared to all of the other adoptions that happen around here, it might seem insignficant, but I know it is having eternal results, just like my own adoption.
 
"Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue, but with actions and in truth." 1 John 3:18


No comments: