Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Mothers Hide Things

My mother used to hide cakes. She would bake a cake for a work meeting at school, and didn't want my brother and me to eat it, so she hid it on top of the piano. Often she covered it with a towel so that we wouldn't notice it, but the top of the piano was probably a good spot without the towel; we didn't practice much.
My mother-in-law hid things from her children in the fireplace. No one would think to look in there for a bottle of Coke, and then there would be a special drink at a party or get-together. Oreos were also hidden, but in a drawer, not the fireplace.
Right now I have a box of Peeps hidden for when I want to give Matt a special treat. There is also a bag of Starburst Jelly Beans hidden in the closet; those are my favorite Easter treats. Bags of candy get hidden in drawers, presents are hidden in secret spots, and sometimes things are "hidden" right in plain view.
Food isn't all that mothers hide, though. They hide bad news by not telling the children. They sugar-coat the truth so children won't be terrified. Mothers hide the tears of pain when a child says they hate them. They hide frustration that the same problems are still causing trouble. Mothers hide fears, worries, concerns, and regrets.
Mothers are the ultimate hiders, and they do it all for your sake. Go seek your mother today and give her a big hug. I bet she hides a tear of joy, too.

No comments: