Thursday, July 18, 2013

Suffocation

Suffocation is often undetectable. I remember a story not too many years ago of a family in WV waiting on a school bus. The road was snow covered and as the family waited in the warm car for the bus to arrive, the carbon monoxide slowly poisoned them. There wasn't enough oxygen to keep their minds and bodies alive. Unsuspecting of any problem, they passed away.

Tuesday I was taking Captain for his morning walk when I thought about the need for some time alone with God. Maybe Friday would be a good day to get away, alone, to listen attentively. Then I started thinking about all of the other things that need to be accomplished: lectures to prepare for school, summer cleaning, platform lessons, and so it went. I decided that I just don't have time to retreat right now and my dog walking will have to fulfill my quiet time needs. I will find time this fall to be alone with God for a day.

Wednesday morning I started my day with the usual Bible reading and devotional, only this was the devotional: "Come away with me for a while. The world with its non-stop demands can be put on hold. Most people put me on hold, rationalizing that someday they will find time to focus on me. . . . I have called you to follow me on a solitary path, making time alone with me your highest priority and deepest joy." Jesus Calling, July 17

I can not tell you how many times this little devotional book has been spot on with what I am struggling with or doing. I have learned to listen and obey. So tomorrow I will be heading out to a quiet place. I plan to be silent, to listen, to sit still in God's presence, to draw deep breaths from the Spirit's lungs. I need the clean air of the Lord's mountain so that I don't suffocate.

No comments: