Friday, July 07, 2006

It is amazing to me that a guy in 1941 was writing about the fevered pace of life in America! That was what my devotional reading in Thomas Kelly's book was today. Boy do I ever feel it, too!!! I am trying to get everything done so I can leave town for a while and it is running me into the ground. I am wondering if the trip is going to be worth it. I have been in the garden a lot lately in the mornings, thus the fewer blog posts. Today was a much cooler/lower humidity day. I was able to finish the hoeing and spread lime and fertilizer. I gave in to the fertilizer. I was trying so hard to raise a garden without anything but organics, but I don't have enough compost built up. At least I am not spraying any chemicals. Then I planted more corn, beans, squash, zucchini, and carrots. I am hoping by the time I get back they will be up and I can give them a good start. I think the fall garden here may be more successful. Right now I have cucumbers and pumpkins out the wazoo. The pumpkins are nearly ready- I don'tknow how that happened- so when I get back I guess I will be picking pumpkins. Goldie is not going to hatch any chicks this time. The nest was too small for her and the eggs didn't get incubated properly. Boy do they stink!! Maybe I will try again in August if she is still broody. I also limed the goat pasture a bit today so maybe the grass will improve. I spread turf builder earlier this week. Then tonight I helped at the shelter. The stories and circumstances are awful. Thank you God for a husband who treats me with love, care, and compassion. Please watch over Tammy, Betty, and the others. Then it was on to internet searches and making grain and honey orders. Now I have packed up curriculum for a conference tomorrow and have even arranged for babysitting. So after the conference I get a date with my loving husband- before I leave him for 10 days! I wonder if that is what the fevered pace was 65 years ago- or is it worse?

No comments: