Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Swimmin' Hole Part 2

As my dad and I walked along to the swimming hole, I asked him how he knew about this lost place. It certainly wasn't any place I knew of; hidden at the end of a forsaken dirt road that traversed a stream, the trees encroached the road space until you nearly couldn't walk through in sections. He said it was a place he and his brothers frequented when they were kids. "It was where I met my first drunks," he continued.
"What?!"
He and his brothers had gone over to fish and swim, taking a bunch of food to get them through the day and night. There they met three drunk men who stole their food and ate it up. The next morning the hungry boys walked to town eating wild onoins. In town they traded some soda pops for food before they walked back. I guess the fish hadn't been biting.
That sort of adventure is reminiscent of a Tom Sawyer summer, and what a story to tell your kids and grandkids. But what sort of stories will today's kids tell when they are all grown? "Yeah, I played Halo all day when I was 14." Just doesn't have the same strength, does it? So boys, put down the joysticks and computer gaming consoles, and go find yourself some drunks!
-------------
I went to the Urgent Care on Saturday. While teaching hiking at camp I stepped wrong on my left foot and pain shot up through my leg. I limped for a while, but unless I stepped on it wrong, I didn't have any issues. I went hiking several times, walked here with a friend, and did whatever I pleased. But occasionally that shooting pain would rear its ugly head. Friday night as I slept, I awoke several times with pain when my foot got caught in the blankets.
So I decided to go get an Xray at Urgent Care. Yep, it was broken. It looked like it was healing, so the real break can not be determined. They put me in an air cast, and I went to my podiatrist Monday. I have to wear the air cast for a month, and then gradually wean myself off of it. At least I am still able to swim. I thought I might finally have the story of wearing a cast all summer and not being able to swim. Yet another adventure that I can't tell my kids.

No comments: