Saturday, July 23, 2011

They're Back

The boys are Back!!! WooHoo!!! I love having my chicks back in the nest. The dog has stayed home the last couple of days too. Of course, that may be due to the extreme heat that we have been suffering here. She doesn't even follow me from room to room as usual, but stations herself where she can see me from multiple sites and stays put.
Lest any of you should read the last post and think that I am irritated by my boy or that he is a bad apple, I want to reassure you. He is a very good boy. The day he came back, he came downstairs, wrapped his lean, long self around my neck and told me that he loves me and is glad to be back. Then he said, "Thank you." That threw me.
"Thanks for what?"
"For being my mom."
I don't know what I did to deserve that, but I took it...with tears in my eyes, of course.
The day that I went to Raleigh to pick the kids up, I was told by another mother that #1 was a good boy. The van they were using broke down, and they had to take turns getting rides to the other events across campus. He stood in the parking lot (read HOT SUN) while she made three other trips to take kids to their spots. Finally she got him. He apologized TO HER because she had to miss seeing her son do something that morning in order to give everyone else a ride. He really is a gentleman.
Today the family took a spontaneous shopping trip to JC Penney. They were having a time-specific sale, and I thought I would try getting a few things. I bought 2 t-shirts each for my boys. As we left the building, #1 said, "Thanks for the shirts, Mom."
So you see, he is a good boy. He just isn't going to be pushed into a decision. Actually I am glad that he is like that. When he does claim Jesus, as I am sure he someday will, he will be certain that he chose from his own volition and not pressure from his parents.
-------
So how did my boys fare at State Congress? They did well. Neither one placed for his presentation, but both felt good about their performances. #2 received Gold Individual and Silver Overall for the State Project, and #1 received Silver Individual for the same. That project is judged for the entire state regardless of age, so it is pretty impressive.
Our club received Silver for our Community Service project from last year, which was to have each kid donate 10 hours to community service. They actually donate much, much more than that, but 10 hours was the required amount.
#1 had also been invited to an awards banquet so that he could receive the Gold medal for his Public Speaking cumulative record. He actually won Gold in both "Public Speaking" and "Expressive Arts and Communication", but you are only allowed to win Gold in one category and the other has to be given Silver. There was some sort of mix-up and they said it was Gold for "Expressive Arts and Communications". We will have to check on that.
So 4H takes a break for a few days. We have just been vegging inside the last couple of days to try and stay cool. Monday night is the County Council meeting, of which #1 is VP. Then Tuesday is our club business meeting and pool party. #1 may have to miss that since he will be taking Driver's Ed starting Monday!!! Oh My Goodness.
That also means school starts on Monday for us. Whew! Where are the fall breezes for school?

No comments: