Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Affirmation

Yesterday when I arrived at camp to teach  my class, one of the counselors said, "I hear your class is a lot of fun!"
"Who told you that?"
She had been talking to one of my class kids the day before and asked which class he liked best. River's Edge. Why? Because it is fun and we get to go to the river and we get to dig!
"Just wait until he gets in class today," I said. "We get to mix chemicals!"
After class yesterday, one of the girls stayed to help clean up, even after I told her she could go on ahead to her next class. So while she dried the chem plate I asked if she likes science. She got a look of adoration on her face and said with emphasis, "Oh yes." Then after a brief pause, "Well, if the teacher is nice. And you're nice!"
How good it is to be told that you are doing something well. Making a difference.
Everyone wants to know their purpose in life. If they are Christians, or even just religious, they ask, "What does God want from me?" Really they just want affirmation.
Look around you and notice someone today. Affirm them.

No comments: