Thursday, June 28, 2012

Biscuits and Gravy

Yesterday when I arrived at camp, one of the moms greeted me with this tidbit.
At camp the food is served family style. Everything is placed on the table and passed just like you would do at home. An adult sits at each table and makes sure everything is ok, chit chats with the kids, and just generally behaves as the "parent" for that meal. This mom was at the breakfast table with my son, two other boys his age, and a younger boy of about ten years. Breakfast was biscuits and gravy, a WV delicacy. The bowl of gravy and plate of biscuits was filled three times for this table of four guys and one mom. She said she had one biscuit with a small spoonful of gravy on it. The boys ate all of the other biscuits and gravy. That would mean the boys had 17 biscuits and 3 bowls of gravy! The younger boy also had two bowls of cereal! I guess camp works up an appetite.
The weather turned cooler here this week. It has been perfect for camping. The afternoons are not too hot for the sports and activities, and the campfire at night  is enjoyable. I'm glad they are having a good time. I love sharing my childhood with my kids.
-------
So what am I doing with all my free time? I have finished the schedule for our Geography Club this year- Central America and Mexico. Looking forward to hearing about Monkey-eating Eagles!! And I have been working on the English 3 class. It is almost done and I think I have a lot of fun new activities for the kids. I just hope they think so.
I also have been working on a book idea about my dog. It has been fun to write about her and realize all of the things that little lady taught me. I hope I can finish it this summer.

No comments: