Sunday, March 17, 2013

A Little Dizzy Spell

Saturday I awoke about 7:30 and headed to the bathroom. All was right in my world, and I climbed back into bed to spend some quiet time alone. By 8:00 my world had literally turned upside down. It was vertigo.
The room was spinning faster than a tilt-a-whirl, and my stomach was flopping around like a fish out of water. I thought that it was probably fluid in my ears since I had been feeling it sloshing in there for a couple of days previously. I tried Sudafed to decongest it all, but no luck.
Then, I thought, perhaps, a heating pad would be helpful to dislodge the fluid and make everything stand still. Walking down the hallway to the medicine closet wasn't too difficult if I kept one hand on the wall, but plugging in the heating pad was another story all together.
I bent over to the floor level where the outlet is, and wham! the floor raised four feet. I swear I was about to lose my cookies and land on my head. I twisted around and flopped onto the bed not to move again for several hours.
About mid-afternoon I was feeling well enough to talk on the phone for a bit, so the first one I called was my father-in-law. I needed to apologise for thinking he was a sissy all these years. He often suffers from little dizzy spells called vertigo. I always thought, Oh just get up and move around. It'll go away. I am sooo sorry, Big Pap. I didn't understand. This is not a "little dizzy spell", this is get off the roller coaster and toss your toenails dizzy!
Dramamine seemed to help a bit, or at least I was sleeping so hard I didn't notice it anymore, and today I am much better. I am still light-headed and my ears keep popping, but I won't get pulled over for drunk driving.
There are so many times that we just don't understand people because we haven't experienced what they are going through. Here in the South the race issue has befuddled me because I didn't grow up around it. I want to say, "Just move on." In fact, for some people moving on is much more difficult than that.
I hear people denegrate those who use "Entitlements", but I am one who lived in government housing, used food stamps, and was aided by WIC. I know the embarrassment of standing in a long grocery line and pulling out the food stamps. Yes, there are people who abuse the government's help, but for some of us it was/is a moment in time for which we are grateful for the help.
I am sure there are many other times that I have reacted poorly, either in thought, word or deed. I hope that when I discover my error, like in my little dizzy spell, I will always be sure to apologise for my lack of compassion. I just hope I don't have to learn anymore lessons the hard way!! I hate roller coasters!!

No comments: