Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Filling My Belly or My Heart?

Monday is my long working day, and now that we are in the "Research Paper Unit" it meant the hour and half long class went for three hours yesterday. I try to meet with each kid individually and give them guidance and encouragement, but it means a long afternoon for me.
So when I trudged in the door at 5:00 yesterday evening the dog was ecstatic that the family was back in the house. He jumped all over the boys begging for attention and love. I, on the otherhand, ran for the bathroom, a place long ignored while I reviewed papers with students.
Once the boys were checked out by Captain, he went in search of me. Hubby laughed to tell me the path Captain took racing from one room to the next in his search. I wasn't in the livingroom, office, kitchen, laundry room, dining room. Finally, he greeted me as I emerged from the restroom. He shook and wagged and wiggled his way into my lap and hands, so happy to see me. I felt like a Rock Star.
I hurried into the kitchen to start dinner's side dishes. There was a 4-H County Council meeting at 6:30, and we needed to head out the door in an hour. I had placed a roast in the crockpot before I left for school, and the aroma had hit me as soon as I walked in the door. MMM, delicious, and I was so glad I had started dinner that morning! Of course, poor Captain had been smelling the roast all day long, and I am sure he was hoping for some crumbs to drop his way. The ham bone in the middle of the roast was Captain's treat as he ate on the rug in the corner.
We had a sit down dinner and then quickly combed our hair and brushed our teeth before heading out the door once again. Captain headed off with Hubby for the nightly walk while I raced the kids to the next thing. When I returned at 8:00 I was able to get in my walk, and then I had to take care of the kitchen.
The plates and dishes were still on the kitchen table. Rice still sat in one pot on top of the stove, and traces of brocolli clung to the other pot. I opened the dishwasher door to start piling in the dirty dishes, and Captain raced over to see what goodies he could lick off the floor level dishes.
That is a nasty habit he came to us with and it has been very difficult to break him of it. I try to keep my leg near the door so he is deterred a bit, but I do have to walk around the kitchen to get to other items. Captain took advantage of my movement and his tongue took to licking. It had been a long day and I wasn't too happy with the little guy at this point, so I scolded him in an unpleasant voice. Hubby, working on taxes in the livingroom, came to rescue the poor pup from the mean and nasty lady.
After I had the dishwasher loaded and closed, I went to open the livingroom door and let out the whining dog. He raced to the kitchen and instantly sagged as he saw the dishwasher was closed. I began washing the rest of the dishes in the sink, and Captain lay down by my feet. I'm not sure if he really wanted to be near me or if he just thought some food might show up.
Jesus was teaching a large crowd by the Sea of Galilee. They were hungry and nothing was to be found except five small barley loaves and two small fish, but Jesus was able to turn it into a feast for thousands. He continued speaking, teaching, and healing, and then he needed a break. The people left him alone for a while, and his disciples headed across the lake for Capernaum. The next day when the crowd couldn't find Jesus where they left him, they raced around the water's shore to the village of Capernaum. Finding Jesus the people began questioning him, but he wasn't fooled.
"You are looking for me not because of the signs and wonders that you have seen, but for what you can get out of it. You liked having your belly filled for a while, but I can give you so much more. Sit at my feet, not just at my bread basket," Jesus scolded them. (John 6)
I wonder why I follow Jesus sometimes. I know I pray for physical blessings, food, shelter, healing, but I also pray for things I don't have to have but would like to have. Am I just following Jesus for his breadbasket, or am I really following at his feet?
Finishing up the dishes I headed into the living room to catch up on some email and other work. Hubby had my computer working on the taxes, so I went in his office to use his computer. The dog followed me and sat down by my feet, pushing against me for attention. I absentmindedly stroked his fur and then went back to work. Sitting for a brief moment, Captain walked over to the garbage can under the desk to see if there were any goodies stored away in there. Hmmm. Perhaps he isn't ready to sit at my feet any more than I am at Jesus' feet. Lord, help me to sit still and listen, not just gorge myself on your blessings.

No comments: