Thursday, March 28, 2013

Confused Isolation


Walking through the large, two story mall I spot a small island oasis. Down a short hallway surrounded by stores and busy shoppers is a pretend livingroom. The square carpet draws the boundary lines for this little paradise. Several arm chairs and lounge chairs are placed around the area with tables and stools to finish the effect. Breathing a sigh of relief I settle down in a soft chair under a softly lit lamp and inhale the steam from my hot chocolate. The hurried atmosphere of stress-induced shoppers entering the busy Christmas season fades into the background as I isolate myself within the invisible walls of my shelter.

 How can I be all alone in a virtual sea of people? Yet, here I am, all alone. Others sit in chairs next to me, but no one speaks. Others hurry around me looking toward their next destination, never noticing the woman ensconced in the black leather chair. I am unseen, unnoticed, unobtrusive.

Sitting here in my own little world I understand in a small way the world of Dementia. People hurrying around you, past you, moving on toward unknown destinations while you sit in a comfy chair and watch them pass. Where are they going? you wonder without comprehension. There must be somewhere you should be going too. Now where was it? 

Trying to rise from your chair you are told to just sit and rest, you have nowhere to go. But they must be wrong. There was somewhere you were headed when you sat down here. You are busy too, just like the others; surely you have an appointment to keep.

But you are isolated, even in the middle of all of these people. Confusion clouds the windows of your paradise and the past knocks on the door. You get up to answer, but the door is locked. Surrounded by so many, you feel abandoned, deserted, forsaken, and lonely. A solitary figure hedged in on every side by other people, an island in a stormy sea of darkness.

May God light the way of the dark hallways for all of those in confusion this day.

No comments: