Friday, November 16, 2007

The Iraq War is a big issue today, in this age. Yesterday the 3 year old told my boys that we started Iraq. They were confused thinking he meant we started the country. It was something his father had told him, and he was just repeating what he had heard. But the issue is so big now that you don't even have to add the word WAR to it. The issue is hard to discuss without strong words and strong feelings pouring forth. I don't have strong words or feelings about the issue. I think I see both sides of it. I do think that Sadam was a threat to the world, many Kurds would agree. I think that oil policies were part of the decision. I think terrorists will continue to attack as long as no one counter-attacks. I do not want to lose my sons in war. I also do not want to tell my sons that it is ok to treat women like dirt, that women and children have no rights, that you should ignore the plight of the poor and helpless. There are some who say that this is a religious war. Others question how God could endorse war. I guess I say there is no answer to those questions. God must surely greive at the behavior of those who attack, and at those who ignore the hurting. I can not pretend to know what God would want from this. I do think, however, that he would like both the war and the ill-treatment of his creation to end- at the same time. That will only happen in the next age.

No comments: