Saturday, November 24, 2007

We took the family on an outing yesterday. We have been wanting to go to Ocracoke for quite a while and everyone's schedule finally allowed it. We drove to a ferry and rode 2.5 hours to the island. It was a very windy day and the ferry was really rocking. We ate a snack, played yahtzee, looked around, had lunch, and watched dolphins off the ship. Finally we arrived and took off to see the island. I really think we would have enjoyed it more without the biting wind in our faces, but it was still a lot of fun. We found shells, a bat, the skeleton of a stingray, and several shells of horseshoe crabs. There is a British cemetary that has 4 sailors bodies. They were patrolling off the Outer Banks during WW2 when a German U-boat torpedoed them. It was amazing to read how often that happened. I hadn't heard about that before. We also took a different ferry over to Hatteras Island. We were looking at lighthouses for hubby to photograph. He got the one on Ocracoke, the Hatteras lighthouse, and then also the Bodie lighthouse at night. I hope those come out- the full moon was behind it- neat. We ended by eating at Big Al's in Manteo and the boys picked a song on the Jukebox. -------- Today we headed over to a stock auction to see how birds are selling. The prices were about the same I get here at the house, plus you have to pay the barn. So I think the best way for me to sell ducks will just be to put a sign in the yard. If worse comes to worse, I could try to sell them there in a large group. I will go back a few more times to see if maybe today was a bad day. I was also looking for a Nubian goat to buy for milk, but they didn't have any. There is a guy staying with us for a few weeks, though, and his wife's grandfather raises Nubians a couple of hours from here. So maybe I will find one that way. I bought milk at the store today and nearly fell over when I saw the price. I have been getting milk from a farmer but I have to drive so far for it that I didn't this time. I have decided the price is right, even with the drive, since I can't drink store milk without getting sick.

No comments: