Thursday, July 09, 2009

Bible Reader Beware

We are reading through Kings in the Bible. 1 Kings starts with the story of Solomon, and I was able to employ all my Solomonic wisdom yesterday. I walked into the kitchen at 8:16 a.m. to tears by #2. "Why are we crying at quarter after 8, already?" It seems that there were three pieces of ham left. #2 had come and asked me if he could have ham and cheese rolls for breakfast, and I had said yes. While he was off asking me #1 decided to have ham and egg sandwich for breakfast. He tore up two pieces of ham and started frying them, leaving one piece for his brother. Thus the tears. "Do you think that is fair," I asked #1. Yes, he did. "Then trade with your brother." Next was the look I wrote about yesterday...surprise and astonishment. "No," he answered. "Why not? If it is fair then you ought to be happy to trade with your brother." His reply? "It's fair to me, but not to him." --------- 1 Kings gives some other conversation topics. "What is a virgin?" King David couldn't keep warm, so they found a beautiful virgin to sleep with him to help warm him. The question came from #1 and #2 answered that it is a woman who devotes her life to God. So I said it outright, for the first time ever, "It can be a man or woman, and perhaps they devote themselves to God, but it is someone who has never had sex." Whew. That was difficult. #2 got a little grin on his face and said, "So #1 and I are virgins?" Yes. Then he grinned really big and looked at his brother. I'm glad he thinks it is a good thing. May he always think that! ----------- Yet another 1 Kings conversation. "Do you know how many wives Solomon had?" #1 asked in an astounded voice. "1000!! 700 from royal birth and 300 from not." (Personally I was glad he didn't ask at this point what is a concubine.) "Why do you suppose he wanted 1000 wives?" I asked. He replied, "I don't have any idea. Maybe in a few more years I will understand it." I'm guessing in a few more years he will be even more baffled.

No comments: