Saturday, July 18, 2009

Treasures on Earth

Grandma passed along her diningroom suite to us. I rented a truck to bring back all of the things from WV. Besides the diningroom suite, we got two wingback chairs, a desk for #1, and trunks for both boys. There was a third trunk that will be passed to my nephew. They are the old travelling trunks, and the boys think they are really cool. My mother also gave us a bedroom suite that was loaded onto the truck. I was especially interested in the diningroom suite because it was where I had my first meal after Hubby proposed. I still remember walking up the stairs from the garage and being accosted by everyone. Grandma grabbed my hand and about yanked my arm out of me as she looked at the ring. It was Easter weekend, and everyone had gathered at Grandma's for dinner. I remember which chair place I sat in, the passing of food, pies, and lots of talking. It's funny what things mean something to me. I have a tin cup from my grandmother. A cooking book from my grandfather. My great-grandmother's sewing machine. A trunk and a donkey made by a grandfather. Each has a story that makes it special to my heart. Others may look at some of my treasures and call them old junk, but to me they are priceless. I guess I'm sentimental. Lucky for Hubby, huh?

No comments: