Monday, July 06, 2009

Talented Men

We had a nice holiday. We had 29 people here for a cookout and visiting. Then I took the boys downtown to watch the fireworks. It was a long day, but very pleasant. During lunch, #2 asked me if I thought standing on a pole with one foot would be a talent. I asked him why, was he planning on entering a talent show? He replied that he just thought that would be a talent and was wondering. To which his dad jumped in and said he had told him not to stand on the pole like that. So later in the day, #2 comes in and says," Mom, would it be all right if I go use my talent?" Tricky little bugger, ain't he? I went to see My Sister's Keeper yesterday with some friends. It is a good movie, great story, excellent acting, and lots of tears. There were only women in the theater. #1 said that is because men will watch it at home. They don't want to be seen crying in public like a bunch of babies. I guess he has figured out "masculinity." The boys had a friend over to play yesterday evening, and then his mother came to pick him up. She stayed to visit a little while, and she told me about a little friend that has been staying with them for a few days. He asked her if her husband had ever asked for a paternity test on her son. How very sad that this little boy- 11 years old- thinks that it is normal for your parents to be unsure if they are your parents. And on top of that, to care so little for the feelings of the child to put him through that. This is a crazy world. The boys were asking yesterday why mothers try to get away from their children. (My movie time.) I said that people who go to work get to leave their job, but mothers whose job is their kids never get to leave work. So they need a break sometimes. #1 made a comment about how I never get to leave because my job is them and their education. I assured him that I am VERY blessed to be able to spend my time with them. I guess they are blessed to have a mother that wants to be with them. -------- My Little Men won places in a photography Contest they entered several months ago. #1 entered two pictures and he won second and third places. #2 entered one photo and he won third place. The photos were to be patriotic in theme and will be hung in the airports of NC and the Governor's Office to be seen by returning soldiers. What an honor!

No comments: