Sunday, October 04, 2009

Defiantly Joyful

These pink flowers bloom in the fall after we have a heavy rainfall. I don't know what they are; they came with the house. After we dug the pond a few years ago, I moved the bulbs from around the house to beside the pond. They didn't bloom the last couple of autumns. We had drought. But this year they were beautiful. The sunflower below was one of #2's science projects. They didn't get tall, but they were very cheery looking.
We had a fill-in preacher today since Hubby is out of town. Mark did a good job, though I think he was nervous. He talked about how Judah would turn to God when they felt like it, and then go off with other gods when they felt like it. He told a story of a friend who dated a girl here in town, but she also had a boyfriend back in her hometown. She was happy to be with the guy here, but when she really needed something, she would go back home to her real boyfriend. He compared that to our relationship with God. We stick with God when we really need something, but when it suits our fancy we will take whatever comes our way. One thing the "here boyfriend" said was, "She would be such a joy if she weren't so defiant to me." Boy, could God say that about us? I guess I have been defiant lately. I wrote last week about my husband saying my life is a mess. Basically I have gotten too busy, and I have put other things first. I am sure God is wishing I weren't so defiant. It is just so easy to be unconsciously defiant. I am busy with so many extracurricular activities, that I have about worn myself out. This weekend I have tried to keep going, but I just have to sit down and stop sometimes. I have forgotten that I am working a full-time job with homeschooling. It isn't enough to say that the things I do make a better education for my children if I am too busy to stop and spend time with them outside of school. It isn't enough to say that God is important in my life if I can't find the time to stop and listen to Him. I hope I can become a joy minus the defiance.

No comments: