Thursday, October 15, 2009

Writing

Today is writing class. I have spent this week grading narratives, so that the kids can bring corrected copies to class today. It took me two hours to grade three stories! Something I have learned in this class is that most of the kids are as bad at it as my own children. It was a bit of a relief. I thought I would share #2's essay for the county fair. He didn't win anything, but I thought it was a clever essay. I think the judges were probably looking for more info about the fair itself. The theme was "Celebrating 90 Years at the Fair", and it was to be 100 words or less. Do you know what a cow does when you’re not looking? I do. You see, I learned from a calf named Sophie. She heard about the fair from her ninety year old grandmother who went to the first Pitt County Fair. So, she came to see if it was true. I met Sophie, and we went to the county fair together and had a great time. We ate funnel cakes and cotton candy and rode the rides. She talked to the other cows as I visited with my friends. Later we departed, so she went to her barn and talked to her family. Then my friends and I talked about it for a long time.

No comments: