Saturday, October 03, 2009

Fair or Unfair

These are the best tomatoes you will ever eat! #2 has definitely raised some tasty maters.
We finished fair projects this morning and headed out to get everything registered. The boys enjoy exhibiting articles at the county fair here. Well, not really. They like having the opportunity to get some money! #1 entered a painting and an essay. #2 entered tomatoes, a painting, pottery, an essay, and a contest for a harvest decoration. You see who really likes the money part! I entered eggs.
I have been wanting to enter some of my chicken eggs for several years, but it just hasn't worked out. So this year I planned on getting them there, and I saved good ones for a week. Guess what. No egg division this year. But the wonderful part of being in a "rural" small town area? They will make a division for you. Yep, that's right. They opened up a new division just for my eggs. I hope I win something or it will look really bad.
Last year my mother took the boys to the fair. I was out of town with Hubby at the Zoe conference. This year he is on his own. I was just too busy with the co-ops and other commitments. Yesterday morning I was wishing I had gone with him!
I received a call at 8:30 from a lady who had promised to cover for a teacher who was going to be gone for two weeks. The real teacher had never brought the lessons to her as she had promised. I had an hour to throw together two lessons for her to teach. (The lady teaches two of the co-op classes.)
As it turned out, the woman's husband was able to bring the materials, and it worked out, but man was I frustrated. How could I expect adults to act responsibly? It wasn't just having to come up with lessons just in case, but I was also trying to prepare for our first Envirothon meeting after the co-op. I decided I may not be the right person to sponsor the team. We will just have to learn together.
I had 4 boys, and we worked on lessons on soil and forestry. We found a couple of different soils and tried to determine what type of soil they were. The boys really liked that because they were very filthy by the end of it. They especially liked throwing the dirt balls at trees.
Then we took a short walk and tried to identify trees by their leaves and trunks. Yet another thing I will have to work on.
It all makes me wonder how I am going to have time to go to grad school. I think I should have gone to the Zoe conference with Hubby.

No comments: