Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Electric Congress Means Clean Rooms

My boys have gone off to what is known as "Electric Congress" in NC. It is a wonderful opportunity offered through 4H and Progress Energy. The boys completed Electric projects last year as part of their curriculum, and they won free trips to the Congress. They left Monday for Wilmington and will be back this afternoon. In a time of VERY expensive camps, Electric Congress is a great experience for free. They picked the kids up in a holiday tour bus, paid for all of their food and expenses, took them on a dinner cruise, to an aquarium, and who knows what else was planned. They also complete classes/projects in electricity while they are there. So while they have been gone, I have been cleaning the upstairs. I gave them fair warning that I would be cleaning their rooms and if there was anything they were attached to it should be properly put away. #2 wanted a roll of duct tape so he could tape all of his things to the ceiling. His room was attacked first since I thought I might not be able to finish it otherwise. I filled two garbage bags from his room. He is a collector. It doesn't have to be anything of inherent or obvious value, he just collects. I found tiny pieces of paper, acorns, bottle caps, a rubber garden hose, bottles of water, four tubes of toothpaste, many, many pens and pencils, and on it goes. I was nearly insane by the time I finished. It actually took part of two of the days that they have been gone. Yesterday afternoon I worked on #1's room and in the evening I nearly finished the middle family room. #1 and the middle room only accumulated one bag of garbage. I don't understand not being able to throw away articles that are clearly, to me anyway, junk. He gets it from his father. I have "trained" Hubby to do better over the last 20 years, but I am not sure I will ever be able to train #2. I hope he gets a sneaky but patient wife. One who can put up with his collections but who is also able to throw things away without notice. --------------- Yes last night's storms had the dog up. Yes I was also up. I tried hard to feel her fear of the unknown. It was difficult. The dog is still alive.

No comments: