Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Checking In in Less Than a Week

I started a new medication on Sunday for my arthritis. I don't like it. Like all medications it comes with lots of cautions and warnings, but to read that if I intend to stay on it I need to wear an id bracelet makes me nervous. On top of that it sends me to the bathroom A LOT. I have lost 5 pounds in 4 days just "making water" as my Philadelphia students would say. The medicine tastes terrible and I don't think it is helping much. I go to the doctor on Friday and I think I will nix this prescription. Yesterday was Geography Club and we ate lunch together. There was shrimp, lamb, salad, chicken, salmon, ANZAC cookies, and our two creations, Lamingtons and Apricot and Banana Crumble. It was nice to sit and visit with my friends while the kids ate and played with their friends. It was encouraging to hear that the kids in our Thursday classes are all feeling a bit overwhelmed to have so much "work" to do through the week. They have had it easy in school until now and are having some growing pains as they morph into high schoolers. Along with the Composition class I am teaching the high schoolers, I am also teaching a 6-8 grade class and a 3-5 grade class. It is a lot to prepare for and involves a lot of creativity. I have finally decided that I need to go check out some writing books and let someone else be creative for a while. So the boys and I are heading to the library after lunch. They will take their work and study while I look for resources. Another day not at home. On the bright side, #1 has been showing some signs of maturation. I noticed they were out of toilet paper in the bathroom this morning. I asked him if he had used it all, "No." But then he went ahead and refilled it!!! Wow! He also asked me last week if he could read some more of his Civics book even though it would mean reading ahead. Then he asked if he could read a book I am assigning next year! This year in Religion I am assigning a book of the Bible and then after it is finished I assign a "regular" book. #1 and I just finished reading The Bronze Bow. He said he liked it because it made the Bible stories come to life and seem more real. I told Hubby about it and he suggested reading The Book of God. It is several inches thick and retells the story of the Bible as a historical fiction story. I told #1 about it and showed it to him, but explained that I thought we would save it for next year. He thought about that for a while and then asked if he could read it this year anyway. He thought it sounded interesting. Hmm. Maybe there is hope for him yet. Auditions are this evening for Sleeping Beauty. We took #1's head shot this morning after his shower. I hope it goes well for him, but as always, I hope he does NOT get a big part. It means a lot of practice sessions if he does.

No comments: