Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Traditions

Labor Day in the Northeast means so much more than it does in the Southeast. I remember when we lived in PA that Labor Day meant the end of summer, for real. The pools closed because it was too chilly to keep them open anyway, school started back, fall harvests began; it truly was not summer any longer. It is still summer where we live. We are still comfortable in shorts, the pool is still open, and you can still get a lot out of the garden. School started back in August, because it isn't any different than September, so why wait? Sunday in Bible class we were discussing traditions and their value. Some traditions mark the passage of time, like Labor Day picnics, and others tell who we are, like Easter celebrations. Traditions are important in our development of self. They keep us aware of what we hold to be important. We celebrate birthdays because the day my child arrived in the world is unforgettable. We celebrate Memorial Day because war's devastation and destruction should never be forgotten. We celebrate our anniversary because it was the beginning of a delightful amalgamation of two lives. Some traditions aren't so much celebrations as they are the way we live and why we live. We go to church every week because God is important and deserving of our worship. My sons kiss me after a meal to show me they appreciate what I do for them. My husband finds me when he enters the house to kiss me hello. And we never leave without saying goodbye. When we speak of traditions the term is often confused with conservative. Traditions make us who we are, whether we are conservative or not. They remind us of what we hold to be important. Traditions make us take the time to remember that the rush of life isn't what we are all about. I like my family's traditions, and I like who they tell me we are. ------------- Another family tradition is Guys' Night Out, Tuesdays. So the guys have gone off to be manly together and I am left at home to think and contemplate. It is such needed time for all of us. It is a great time for the guys to realize they need each other, and a time for me to realize I am not always needed. I enjoy time to be insignificant. It's relaxing.

No comments: