Monday, November 15, 2010

Loving the Lord with Your Shoes Off

I stepped over a black pair of dress shoes yesterday as I headed out of the sanctuary to help serve communion. It never crossed my mind that the shoes were not on my child's feet. It never even entered my mind that the child whose feet should be in the shoes wasn't in his chair. It was not until I returned from serving communion that I realized #2 was putting his shoes on. His shoes often come off in church, truth be told so do mine, but the embarrassing part of the story is that he was ALSO serving communion. Yes, in his stocking feet, my child served the body of the Lord. I hope God saw it as respectfully walking on Holy Ground. ---------- The hang out Friday night went well. We had about 20 kids show up and they played so hard that one of the moms called the next day to tell me how exhausted her kids were. One fell asleep at the breakfast table and the other didn't make it past the floor at the top of the steps. My boys are already talking about next month's hang out! ---------- Why is there always one basket of unfolded clothes left all week until next laundry day? I would like to start one laundry day without having to finish the last one. Play practice starts later this week as the kids prepare for a night performance on Friday. This last week is always a killer, but we love being a part of it. All of the grandparents are coming down on Friday to spend several days with us. They will go to the play on Saturday. Monday they are preparing a Thanksgiving Feast for us, since we won't make it home this year, and we will all enjoy it together. Last week in Science class #2 commented that he wouldn't have understood the chapter if he hadn't seen the movie on black holes at the museum last summer. That lead us into a conversation about why he does better at school because of the advantages he has in life, and then I asked him to name them. He said he has the advantage of having his parents with him all of the time, and that we travel a lot and go to museums and parks, then thirdly he said, "And I get to see my grandparents, and they come to see me." I thought it was great that he picked up on that huge advantage. Knowing that you are greatly loved and cared for, that someone (in this case 4 someones) think you are the best thing that ever happened, can put you ten thousand steps above the rest in the advantage race. If only everyone could see the way the Lord loves them.

1 comment:

LC said...

your post was a slice of life . . . tasty and filling. This grandmother enjoyed it!