Monday, November 08, 2010

You Know You're Married When...

When I was 19 I prepared for a date by showering, fixing my hair, applying make-up with special care, and even spritzing on a little body spray. My date would arrive at the preappointed time, and we would head out for dinner and a movie with popcorn and drinks, maybe followed by an exploration of the local bookstore. Yesterday my lover and I decided to go on a date. I sold two goats this weekend and had a little extra cash. I was trying to finish up lesson plans for the week so I could get everything squared away for the coming week. As soon as I typed in the last of the lessons, I blurted, "Are you ready?" My date put on his shoes and off we went. Our first stop was to drop a borrowed sweater off at a friend's house, then we headed to the library for the history books. After that we raced to the theater to get tickets and Hubby had popcorn and soda. I declined as it upset my stomach the last couple of times. The movie was a comedy, and I cried through the whole thing. The movie was about two people who get an orphaned child when their friends pass away. It did have funny sections, but the mother in me kept thinking what if this were our child. After the movie we went to the grocery store and were excited to find they had restocked the organic mac and cheese (49 cent special) and milk was marked down to $1.75 for dates of November 10. We bought 4 gallons. We tried to make a side trip to Lowe's to look at seeds for the greenhouse, but they were closing. Then we made a final stop at another grocer that carries the laundry soap I needed. Today is laundry day and I was completely out of soap. On the way to that store my date started sniffling and by the time we pulled in the parking lot he had a bloody nose. We managed a kiss in the van when we pulled into the driveway. Then I came in, ate a bowl of cereal, and headed to bed...alone.

No comments: